In order to get started with Ubi, you need the following:
- Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, 10 PC or tablet
- Ubi Touch Kit (includes the Ubi camera, IR emitter, Ubi pen and mounts)
- Projector that creates a display on a flat surface
Almost any projector works with Ubi. It just needs to be bright enough in your lighting conditions so the sensor can read where the display is. We recommend a minimum intensity of 2000 lumens. If you are thinking about buying a new projector, there are a few things to consider.
- Portability: If you are planning on using Ubi in multiple different environments and will be carrying around the projector, it may be a good idea to get a portable projector. We recommend the Epson 1776w.
- Brightness: If your environment is outside, has a lot of natural lighting, or is generally bright, you may need an ultra-bright projector so the Kinect can see the display. We recommend Epson Powerlite 1960 and ViewSonic PRO8520HD.
- Price: If you are on a tight budget, this projectors will give you a good bang for your buck: ViewSonic PJD5533w
- “Throw” Distance: If you plan on mounting the projector and Kinect, an “ultra-short throw” projector ideal. These projectors can create a large display size from under a meter away from the surface. This setup gives Ubi the best performance because it reduces shadow from the projection and your body won’t block the Kinect’s vision. We recommend theCanon LV-WX300ST and Epson PowerLite 525W.
PC Minimum Requirements for using Ubi Sensor
- 32 or 64-bit Dual-core
- 2.66-GHz or faster processor
- USB 2.0 bus
- 2 GB of RAM